Re: UV EPROM Eraser

Anyone in Sydney have one of these kicking around. Need to erase some old

> 27C512 chips (so it doesn't need to be huge) and don't feel like paying > $25 out of china along with the 1 week wait for something that i imagine > may be collecting dust on your bookcase.

Use that big bright ball in the sky, it's free even if it is a bit slow.

Michael

Reply to
Mickel

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:48:01 GMT, "Mickel" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Here is a UV toothbrush steriliser for AU$15:

Silicon Chip Magazine once adapted a similar Jaycar gadget for erasing EPROMs.

See

The timer had to be extended by adding a timing capacitor in parallel with the existing one.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks Franc. I stumbled across that article when i was searching, only to find jaycar didn't sell them anymore. I managed to get a batch of 15 EEPROMs (pin compatible) foir

Reply to
What The

If it's only for rare use why not use sunlight. Tom

Reply to
Tom

I presume that means you've had success with that method. We've tried it on the odd occasion over the years (Perth) and found nary a bit nuked after a week out in the sun. YMMV but I wouldn't be wasting my time trying it again.

Reply to
who where

Was that direct sunlight or through the window? Tom

Reply to
Tom

Direct, out in the (sunny) summer weather.

Reply to
who where

20+ years ago I just bought the germicidal UV tube, a ballast and starter and interlock switch (all scavenged from the junk box) and built an enclosure for it for safety.

The toothbrush sterilizer idea is probably more cost efficient though.

Reply to
kreed