What happened to my sound card?

My computer speakers died suddenly with a blown fuse. I assumed it was the speaker power supply so I replaced the speakers with a pair of cheap ones that also died (no sound and the power light was off). I could only blame the sound card so I replaced it and the fuse and all is well. What could go wrong with a sound card that would cause this?

Reply to
David Segall

I am knew here but it sounds like when your speakers blew out you had a surge that luckily stoopped at your sound card. I am a believer of battery backups most surge protectors are a joke. I would like to here of a good surge protector that I could trust. but with battery backups getting better and cheaper I even have one on my wireless phone. the one on my computer will shut it down properly during power outage.

Don D Brock

Reply to
Don D

Thanks Don but I am inclined to think that whatever was wrong with my sound card killed both sets of speakers. I just don't see what fault could cause that.

Interestingly, I have just come to the same conclusion that you have about power protection and UPSs. I'm not sure if my troubles started just before or just after I installed my new Powerware 5110. At around $100.00 its about the same price as a quality surge suppressor.

Reply to
David Segall
050002060200070702090603 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

what is a Powerware 5110, is that a surge protector or battery backup?. I lived in a 8 story building the first time I got a battery backup I lost 3 mother boards 5 modems a monitor or 2 before I purchased a battery backup until then I used surge protectors I also believe your phone cord needs to be protected. since I have had a battery backup most my problems have been with software and recently I did lose a monitor

Reply to
Don D

It's a UPS but includes "Automatic Voltage Protection" for transient under and over voltages.

Reply to
David Segall