I'am in need of a Analog Oscilloscope used but working for my personal use building circuits at my home so I can learn more about how they work . PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS , THANK YOU

I was going to buy one of those cheap digital Oscilloscope kits off of eBay but was told to check with this group and ask if anyone has a old working used Analog Oscilloscope that they would donate to me so I could test the c ircuits I have been building . I really like tinkering and have learned a l ot in the past 2 years and a Oscilloscope would be my next piece of test eq uipment , but a new one is out of range for me but a used working old unit would be great for learning on . If anyone could help me I would greatly ap preciate it . I Am disabled and working with electronics has opened a door for me that otherwise would leave me bored and doing nothing . I do not car e if it is scratched or dented up as long as it is working , if anyone coul d help me , contact me at "FAKE NEWS" on You Tube (I do not open e-mails fo r fear of being hacked ) Thank you , Don Young ( looking forward to a reply and some help )

Reply to
Don Young

I hope this isn't too controversial. :)

I would recommend you get a guaranteed working Tek analog scope on eBay, probably $100, $150 at most. The newer the better, but if it is working when you get it, it will probably serve you long enough to satisfy your needs.

DSOs are great once you have some familiarity with what to expect, but can be very deceiving if you don't.

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

There are probably still some CROs finding their way onto the market as people go digital.

Some of the test equipment brokers aren't too generous, but its worth trawling through the ads in the back of various magazines.

There's a lot of non-bargains out there - but with a bit of effort you may find a real gem.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

Try Craigslist!

Reply to
oldschool

What Sam says. Years ago I sought advice here and on the basic electronics newsgroup for buying a used 'scope. The consensus was to get a Tek 465B. I found one for about a $100.00. It still works great and has always been trouble free. Eric

Reply to
etpm

My 465 was given to me free.

Every once in a while it needs a pat on the side to get it going.

Certain to be just a dry joint - but even with the manual, it wasn't obvious how to get it open.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

I looked on ebay and did not see anyting in that price range that I would buy. There were some , but sold as is and not guranteed to work. They probably will, but I would not take a chance on one if I did not think I could repair it. Most did not have any probes either. Some comming out of China are ok and you can get a pair for around $ 20.

I agree with the 465B scope, Probably the best analog scope for the money. I bought one off ebay a few years ago, but it was over $ 200 without the probes. For that kind of money I would go to about $ 300 and get one of the China digital scopes.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

ay but was told to check with this group and ask if anyone has a old workin g used Analog Oscilloscope that they would donate to me so I could test the circuits I have been building . I really like tinkering and have learned a lot in the past 2 years and a Oscilloscope would be my next piece of test equipment , but a new one is out of range for me but a used working old uni t would be great for learning on . If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it . I Am disabled and working with electronics has opened a doo r for me that otherwise would leave me bored and doing nothing . I do not c are if it is scratched or dented up as long as it is working , if anyone co uld help me , contact me at "FAKE NEWS" on You Tube (I do not open e-mails for fear of being hacked ) Thank you , Don Young ( looking forward to a rep ly and some help )

How much money do you have to spend? I bought a Rigol DS1052 for home use. ~$400 when I bought it... ~$330 now. There are many who sing the praises of analog 'scopes. But for common dail y use a DSO is great... and the added features (FFT! storage..) are a real pl us. (I set up the 'scope with a microphone for my kids.. we then banged on the piano and watched things in both the time domain and frequency domain at th e same time.. That was years ago.. I should do it again, they're older now.)

George h.

Reply to
ggherold

The digital scopes have came down. I bought a 200 mhz one for $ 299 shipped. Years ago I paid almost that for a used dual chanel 5 MHz analog scope. Some are even less expensive.

Seems that many of them are rated in MHz and price. They are suspose to be the same but different softwear. Sometimes the components are slightly different.

YOu did not say what MHz yours is, but there are plenty of hacks on youtube to upgrade them.

Ralph Mowery

I am somewhat with the Craigslist crowd on this. Maybe eBay but shipping ca n be a bitch and a CRO could be damaged.

What people do not understand (maybe that is why the engineers over on SED don't want to pay new grads anythng ?) is that when you take a regular CRO down to very slow sweep speeds and then conect a battery to the test probe, even a five year old gains a certain appreciation for electricity. I have not see an DSO that can duplcate that, but I am sure they could de velope o ne if they got their eyes off of having the most useless features. And for a beginner, having a spectrum analyzer is useless, plus from what I hear ma ny of them are linear scale. Without accurately depicting the octaves, what good are they ?

It might be a good idea to just go look for electronic surplus, and don't e ven look for a scope that is in pristeen condition. Learn to fix it and cal ibrate it by the seat of your pants so to speak. There should be places lik e HGR and ESI all over the place. It is just a matter of looking at the ite m description. Mainly you want it to have a trace, both channels. you need the vertical positioning controls to work, on both channels. that will pret ty much clear any unobtainium ICs and whatnot in there. If it does not pass those tests then keep the mohey down. Offer like twenty bucks.

It is always best to go see the unit. some people are paranoid to go to str angers' houses but come on, if you are about to get robbed usually the deal is too good to be true. When you are around $50 or whatever, it is not a s etup. And if you think it is, take a gun.

Take a paper clip or something to hit the V input on it and see if you can get that "hum" waveform, if so, that much the better. You should be able to synch into that. Watch the controls, like "synch source" for example. Do n ot poke the paper clip into the BNC connector, it will make it loose and it might be in a predicament that makes it very hard to change. Just hold it at the outside and make the electrical connection.

If you get that 60 Hz waveform and the scope will synch into it you are way over halfway there. Sure, there could be alot wrong with it but that is a different thing. When they are dead, or have no trace or whatever, that is when you really don't want to sink alot of money onto it.

I have three lower bandwidth scopes but I can't afford to be giving shit aw ay. I might be able to hook you up with something in the mid range of CROs, my buddy has a couple of Teks around. One actually you can probably get re asonable is like a 465 or something, but it is a B or whatever, a bit rare. I think it moight have a hair more bandwidth. But it is supposed to have d ual time base and that part is not working. I ran the problem down to the t riggering (or retriggring) and kinda got lost there. But it works fine as a normal scope. Not sure what he wants for it but if you RSVP here I will as k.

Bottom line, the CRO is boss. I would consider a digital if they would make one actually REALLY emulate a CRO. All you digital scope folks, this is yo ur chance to get a convert. Other than that, I am a CRO afficianado.

Reply to
jurb6006

Reply to
Steve & Lynn

SITRE MAGANA'S HAMSTER DIDN'T EXPECT TO BE CUT TO PIECES BY SITRE MAGANA WITH A PAIR OF SCISSORS.

Reply to
Steve & Lynn

Right, I saw the same hack on Dave's EEVblog. I never bothered, I've got faster 'scopes at work if I need one.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold